Cluster Benchmarking Packages
Here are some links to benchmarks:
- HPCC Challange Benchmark - uses seven tests to measure several different performance parameters.
- Beowulf Perforamnce Suite (BPS) - Example results are here.
- Cluster Monkey Benchmark Project - just started. It is based on the BPS.
- NASA Parallel Benchmarks - One of the most, if not the most, widely used set of benchmarks for clusters.
- Intel MPI Benchmarks - freely available.
- perfbase - a set of front end tools using a PostgreSQL database as backend, which together form a system for the management and analysis of the output of tests and experiments.
- SKaMPI - a suite of tests designed to measure the performance of MPI.
- Cbench - a Perl-based scripting framework for building, running, and analyzing the output of various opensource codes
- Himeno Dr. Ryutaro Himeno, Director of the Advanced Center for Computing and Communication, has developedbenchmark to evaluate performance of incompressible fluid analysis code. This benchmark program takes measurements to proceed major loops in solving the Poisson's equation solution using the Jacobi iteration method. Being the code very simple and easy to compile and to execute, users can measure actual speed (in MFLOPS) immediately.
File Systems I/O
- GPFS vs. NFS evaluation
- EXT3, EXT3, Reiser, JFS, XFS benchmarks Part 1 and Part 2
- Cluster Monkey Series on Parallel File System Benchmarking
- nfs-test is a program that tries a bunch of different rsizes, wsizes, protocols (tcp vs udp) and NFS versions to optimize performance
- IOZONE Filesystem Benchmark
- MPI-IO Test LANL's MPI-IO Test (The best test for MPI-IO codes)
- Livermore File System Tests A collection of tests from Lawrence Livermore for testing parallel IO file systems. This include IOR (a great test for parallel file systems) and a bunch of metadata tests
Individual Codes for Benchmarks
These are codes that you can download (freely) and use for benchmarking. Some of them have benchmark results available and some don't.
- Gromacs - A great benchmark code. GROMACS is a versatile package to perform molecular dynamics, i.e. simulate the Newtonian equations of motion for systems with hundreds to millions of particles. It is primarily designed for biochemical molecules like proteins and lipids that have a lot of complicated bonded interactions.\
- HMMER HMMER is used for profiling hidden Markov models (profile HMMs) to do sensitive database searching using statistical descriptions of a sequence family's consensus. HMMER is a freely distributable implementation of profile HMM software for protein sequence analysis.
- Gerris - Gerris is an Open Source Free Software library for the solution of the partial differential equations describing fluid flow.
- ParaCFD While this is an old CFD benchmark, I think it is still useful. It contains both an OpenMP version and a MPI version.
- MGNet - A collection of Multi-Grid codes that you can use for benchmarking. There are no published results, but there are some MPI codes that you can use for benchmarks.
These benchmarks can be used to test the networking aspects of cluster codes. Some of them can test the entire fabric and some test just a pair of nodes.